Search This Blog

Monday, June 17, 2013

Why seeing a Divorce Attorney to "save" your marriage always backfires

In 23 years of practice, I cannot tell you how many times people have come to my office and said, "Oh, I don't really want a divorce, I'm just coming here to scare my spouse, then he/she will see the light and come running back to me."  I'm paraphrasing, but you get the idea.  This never works.  If anything, the client finds out their spouse couldn't be more delighted that they went to a divorce attorney.  Now the other person may stop marriage counseling, stop working on the marriage, and maybe shift the cost of the divorce filing fees.

As a rule, I will not meet with anyone who is in marriage counseling.  If you're serious about saving your marriage, do whatever it is that must be done, but do NOT think that coming home with the business card of a divorce attorney is going to scare your spouse.

That almost always ends up backfiring.

If you need to call an attorney to find out your rights for divorce or separation purposes, then by all means, do so.  But ONLY if you are really serious about moving in that direction.  Until then, leave it in the hands of the marriage counselor.

www.LoBiondoLaw.com

No comments:

Post a Comment